When RootsTech calls


You guys! I am over the moon to share with you that this past week I was invited to be an official 2018 RootsTech Ambassador!

I can see you all now...some of you are silently high-fiving me. And some of you are looking at me with a confused look on your face .

What exactly is RootsTech?

Simply put, it's Genealogy Nirvana. The mother ship. The Comic- Con of the Family History world.  Without the dressing up part. Wait...actually, some vendors really do dress up in costumes now that I think about it.

Each February, people from all over the WORLD come for this 4 day conference in Salt Lake City, Utah.  This event is a combination family history, technology and trade show conference all rolled into one. RootsTech attracted 30,000 attendees last year and thousands more remotely for their live-streamed workshops. The next conference is February 28-March 3, 2018

Now, listen...I'm an introvert by nature. If you told me I would absolutely LOVE a conference with that many people, I would tell you that you were crazy. But the energy of RootsTech is intoxicating. The venue is so large, it doesn't feel crowded at all. It has an incredible vibe.  You have the luxury of doing as much, or as little, as you choose.

Me last year at RootsTech 2017

So what's the big whoop about being an Ambassador?

Ambassadors are official advocates for RootsTech and help generate awareness and excitement about the event before, during and after the event. I get to share info through my blog and social media.  Kind of like a behind-the-scene reporter. My journalism degree is finally getting to stretch its legs (thanks SCSU)!

Not only will I be attending RootsTech in February, but I'll have an opportunity to interview Keynote Speakers, Guest Presenters, and other Genie rock stars during the event. I'll be blogging about workshops, sharing new research databases you might not know about and sharing my favorite thing of all...the technology, software and apps of genealogy.  I'll also get to connect with other family history lovers, vendors, family historians and all the other swell people that will be attending. 

Is there more?

Yup! As an official ambassador I get to give away a FREE 4-DAY ROOTSTECH 2018 PASS. 

I'll be announcing the contest sometime soon via my Twitter (twitter.com/JennyHawran) and my Blog (https://like-herding-cats.blogspot.com/). Make sure you are following both in the next few weeks and months. I'll also share the links of some other Ambassador pages who are running contests as well. 

I sure hope I can do this Ambassador role justice. I'm a little fish in a big pond of professionals I so admire and respect. I'm so excited to be able to share what I love to do with other people about an event I can't wait to attend again. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,